This post is written by Ben Matthews, founder of Bright One
Last month, Bright One was the guest editor for the PR for Good Causes feature on Behind The Spin. We introduced the special feature by arguing that recognition of the importance of PR in a charities’ every day activity is becoming increasingly stronger, and the issues covered in the resulting articles were testament to that view.
From the “Rise of Social Media in Charity Fundraising” to “How celebrities are used by charities”, “How Charities Communicate with Case Studies” to “The advantages of PR for charities over other comms” – the articles from regular Behind the Spin contributors, PR students, Bright One volunteers and those from the wider Bright One community showed just how diverse and engaging this area of PR is.
In case you missed any of the PR for Good Causes articles, it’s well worth taking a look:
- Want to know the top 10 charity campaigns of 2010? Let Petra Opelova show you her top choices.
- Selwyn Jerry Boston explores the use of celebrity endorsement by charities
- Melanie Rawlings reviews the way charities use social media: “Platforms such as Justgiving or Virginmoneygiving are great ways for supporters to collect funds as they eliminate the hassle of filling out sponsor forms and trying to contact sponsors after events”, she writes.
- John Parman tells us what’s wrong with CSR: “The biggest problem with corporate social responsibility is that it rarely has much to do with reality. The mistake is to make CSR about ‘me’.”
- Tove Nordstrom responds to those who would automatically criticise her chosen discpline: Does your mother know you work for the devil?
We’ve been delighted with the response given to the series, so thanks for all your feedback. And if you have anything to add or want to let us know what your favourite articles were, just leave a comment in the section below.
Thanks goes to Richard Bailey for getting Bright One involved in the first place and to David Clare for helping arrange all the contributions for the series.
We look forward to hearing from you!